Here again, and it’s more Critters, because this week tons of Critter News rolled down the pipes. This one is longer than normal (5 stories instead of 3), but I didn’t want to skip talking about any of these, so I’m not going to. Roundups will now be 3-5 stories with comments (dumps will be 6+ stories without comments, or with very short comments).
- Apes Get iPads at National Zoo – JAN 23, 2013 03:00 AM ET // DISCOVERY NEWS
It already freaks me out that little kids can work an iPad while I had to learn to use them through trial, error and the internet. Now apes are doing it. Even more freaky. And they probably figured it all out way faster than me, to boot.
- Dogs First Drawn to Humans for Food (Surprise!) – JAN 23, 2013 01:00 PM ET // BY JENNIFER VIEGAS
It’s actually more complicated than “wolves were hungry and made friends”. There is genetic studies that show one of the differences between dogs and wolves is the ability to digest starch. So it wasn’t just wolves that were hungry, it’s that they were learning to live in our shadows, and eat our food. Probably… There’s other theories in the article.
- Injured Dolphin Seeks Help from Diver – JAN 23, 2013 07:50 PM ET // BY TRACY STAEDTER
Animals are pretty damn smart. This proves it.
- Chimp Research Curtailed: Will Science Suffer? – JAN 23, 2013 03:00 PM ET // BY SHEILA M. ELDRED
Chimp research is over. This article is a discussion about how this might or might not harm scientific advancement. Only time will tell, so we’ll have to wait and see.
- Lost Cat Travels Two Months, 200 Miles Home – JAN 24, 2013 08:52 AM ET // BY TRACY STAEDTER
It sucks when domestic animals spent less time lost than I do.